Percentage of patients aged 18 years and older with BMI documented during the most recent visit or within the previous 12 months to that visit and when the BMI is outside of normal parameters, a follow-up plan is documented during the visit or during the previous 12 months of that visit.
Note: Normal parameters: Age 18 years and older BMI greater than or equal to 18.5 and less than 25 kg/m2
Denominator (Universe) (Columns A and B)
- Patients 18 years of age or older on the date of the visit with at least one medical visit during the measurement period
Note: For 2018 program year, include patients who were born on or before December 31, 1999, and who were 18 years of age or older on the date of their last visit.
Numerator (Column C)
- Patients with:
- A documented BMI (not just height and weight) during their most recent visit in the measurement period or during the previous 12 months of that visit, and
- When the BMI is outside of normal parameters, a follow-up plan is documented during the visit or during the previous 12 months of the current visit
Note: Include in the numerator, patients within normal parameters who had their BMI documented and those with a follow-up plan if BMI is outside normal parameters.
- Patients who are pregnant during the measurement period
- Patients receiving palliative care during or prior to the visit
- Patients who refuse measurement of height and/or weight or refuse follow-up during the visit
- Patients with a documented medical reason during the visit or within 12 months of the visit, including:
- Elderly patients (65 years or older) for whom weight reduction/weight gain would complicate other underlying health conditions such as the following examples:
- Illness or physical disability
- Mental illness, dementia, confusion
- Nutritional deficiency, such as vitamin/mineral deficiency
- Patients in an urgent or emergent medical situation where time is of the essence and to delay treatment would jeopardize the patient’s health status